Diploma of Counselling
Studying Counselling at 4 Life College will not only give you the abilities to become a skilled and aware counsellor, it can also provide you with skills that will be extremely helpful in a variety of career pathways. No matter if you are planning to embark on a career in counselling, are looking for improve you current career or just want to further your own personal development our framework ensures you will be getting the most out your studies.
As part of our course we will make you familiar with evidence-based counselling models, strategies and therapies as well as techniques from strength-based therapy.
These are some of the concepts you will encounter:
- Feedback Informed Therapy Framework
- Narrative Therapy
- Positive psychology
Practice your skills in our Student Clinic!
After receiving plenty of face-to-face training, role plays and simulations to make sure you feel ready and confident to take the next step, you will be able to apply what you have learned in our student clinic. Our student clinic is a supervised real-life counselling clinic that allows you to use your newly acquired skills with real clients.
Some of the skill students will be learning are:
- Building a therapeuticalliance with your client
- Reflective practice
- Micro-skills of counsellinge.g. listening, attending, communication skills, questioning
- Specific counselling interventions
- A good grounding in legal and ethical practice for working in Australia
- Understanding mental health and the challenges of mental illness
- Case management
- Interpersonal communication skills
- History of counselling theory
- Networking and referral
- The gift of supervision and being a self–reflective counsellor
This course can be undertaken without prior qualifications.
It is recommended that students have sufficient work or life experience and accordingly students need to be at minimum 20 years of age to study this qualification.
Students must also fulfil the College’s requirements for English proficiency.